Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My Middle Child

A few days ago on Hays blog (would add a link here but don't know how - check out hippyhappyhay from my sidebar) she wrote about her middle child and the middle child syndrome. A photo automatically came to mind of our middle child. It was taken a couple of years ago on a holiday at Hanmer and yes the other two had been teasing her and ganging up on her. Says it all really. Its going to make a great scrapbook page!



From an excerpt in a book that she had read it said that middle or second born child often have the sense of not belonging. They fight to receive attention from parents and others because they feel many times they are being ignored or dubbed off as being the same as another sibling. Being in the middle a child can feel insecure. The middle child often lacks drive and looks for direction from the first born child. Sometimes a middle child feels out of place because they are not over achievers and like to go with the flow of things.

Being a middle child would mean they are loners. They really don’t like to latch on to a person in a relationship, therefore they have trouble keeping one due to lack of interest. Not liking to take the limelight for anything, they are not over achievers and just simply work enough work to get by, and typically that goes with school as well as a career. They are however very artistic and creative. If forced to use abilities they will work well, but do not work well under pressure. They often start several projects but rarely keep focused long enough to finish a project. The best career move for a middle child would be along the lines of using their creative. Going into a writing or journalism career, and into a career that they could freely express themselves would be good. Anything that would have hours that are flexible, and projects that frequently changed would be good for a middle born child. Since relationships are not of high importance to a middle child, often times they are alone. However, the best possible match for a middle child would be a last born.

Now Alexia is a lot of these. She is a bit of a loner but would be a fantastic person to have as a best friend - she has lots of acquaintances. She does lack drive and looks to Rebecca for guidance especially more so now that they are teenagers. When she was younger it was the other way round. She is definitely a go with the flow kid and has a who cares attitude. With schooling it describes her to a T - she does enough to get by, is very creative, does not work well under pressure (NCEA was a big drama last year) and has a million things on the go at the same time.

How very interesting - thanks Hay. Just might have to look up now about the oldest and youngest.

On the scrapbooking front I have finished Micheles CJ. It is the last one I had to do. Have really enjoyed doing them and can't wait to get mine back. Will start posting photos after the weekend of those that have theirs back. Everyone else will have to wait - don't want to spoil the surprise. I wasn't going to do another one straight away but have had an absolutely brilliant idea for one so just might - will depend on the costs.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely interesting! Obviously I don't have a middle child so I can't relate to it on a personal level, but I've seen it in my friends' families with 3 kids.
And I've read other articles about eldest and youngest children and they totally fit my boys!
The whole birth order thing is extremely fascinating to me.

Anonymous said...

It took me ages and a friend to work out the link thing!

The whole birth order is quite fascinating huh? I think so anyway. That photo :(. My middle two gang up on the eldest, but she is a little high maintenance!

Gosh all that CJ talk makes me think I should give this scrapbooking a go! Print out a few of my photos at last! lol.

Beverley said...

I'm a middle child. :o)

The linky thing. Highlight the word you want the link on then click the 'link' button (it's one of those ones on the same line as the 'add image' button. A little box pops up and you type the address of the site you want to link in there. (I do a copy and paste thing)

Hope you figure it out ok.

Trace said...

Very interesting - my brother is the middle child, and it fits him to a T. And Beverley thanks for telling Vicki about the link thingy, now I know too!!

Lesli said...

I have one of those middle daughters too and she is a fabulous person. She always believed the talk of the "middle child" syndrome. I would just tell her everyday how much I loved her and what an outstanding person she was. Today she is a warm, thoughtful, caring adult, who no longer feels like she is the "middle child".

Great information - TFS :)

Julie said...

Happy belated anniversary!!
I watched a documentary on tv about the order of kids and I was interested in how they talked about oldest middle baby - I'm the baby out of my sisters and I and I'm so laid back compared to them - both high achievers. I have a friend though who has 3 boys and they are almost textbook in those terms. Makes for interesting family dynamics though